Get the answers to any spiritual questions.
Ayurvedic Remedies For Good Health
This is Ayurvedic scriptural advice and home cures for maintaining/obtaining good health but it is not to be mistaken as the ultimate cure for you, therefore following a licensed doctor to improve your health is obligatory.
The home cures we will be listed here each week are quite simple and consist mostly of items you may already have in your kitchen.
The herbal medicine of Ayurveda works only when you have unflinching faith in it as it is stated, bhesaje gurau, yadrsi bhavana yasya siddhir bhavati tadrsi, "Whatever quantity and the amount of faith you carry in the herbal treatment and in the words of a scripturally authentic Spiritual Master that quality and that amount of results you will obtain."
1)In Ayurveda all categories of health problems begin due to constipation. Usually all the food that we eat does not come out through evacuation. Some still remains in the stomach and that becomes the root cause of ill health. As a remedy to clear this problem keep some water in a copper pot overnight and after washing your face and mouth drink it by doing so, in due course of time your longstanding constipation will be cleared. If long standing stool is out of the stomach and stomach is clean, lethargy and feverish feeling will be evaporated and vigor on the face will be seen.
2)While evacuating if both sides of the teeth are joint and kept pressing hard then after sometime gum and teeth problems will be reduced.
3)Try not to drink water just before and after eating. If water is required while eating, light sipping of small mouthful at intervals is advised. If drinking of water is done only an hour after eating the meal will digest properly thus helping build immunities in the body. If this rule of drinking of water is not followed then the fire of digestion becomes either reduced or extinguished which will result in future health problems.
4) Right after eating, walking for hundred yards and keeping of left nostril closed for a few minutes will help digest the food properly.
5)Right after eating and washing the hands and mouth, if one goes for a walk then fear from sugar becomes reduced.
6)Those who eat bitter vegetables in March-April (month of Chaitra in Sanskrit), eat more rice in April-May (Vaisakha), also sleep in the day time in May-June (Jyestha), take a oil massage in June-July (Ashadha), avoid eating green vegetables in July-August (Sravana), eat chickpeas in Bhadra (August-September), those who eat gur (raw sugar) in Ashvina (September-October), those who eat radishes in Kartika (October-November), those who eat oily foods in Margashirsa (November-December), those who drink extra milk in Pausa (December-January), those who eat Khichri (rice and dal boiled together) in the month of Magha (Janury-February) and eating very early in the morning in the month of Phalguna (February-March) they experience better health increase of life span.
7)If one’s stomach becomes bloated due to excess of gas or due to extra eating, then take a tablespoon of celery seed (called Ajavayan in the Indian store), a table spoon of fennel seeds (called somph in the Indian store), a teaspoon of black salt (called Sanchur or Kalanamak in the Indian store) and a teaspoon of black pepper, mix them together and grind then finely and then consume a tablespoon with normal drinking water. Soon relaxation will be felt.
8)If too much gas forms in the stomach then a teaspoon of Ajavayan and equal amount of black salt is taken along with a cup of butter milk then, in due course, this practice will remove gas forming in the stomach. Or if a teaspoon of Hinguastaka Choorna (may be available in the Indian store) is consumed daily with water then all kinds of stomach gas problems will be removed.
9)Due to eating steaming hot foods together with cold drink one develops sore throat or hoarse voice. To remove this problem a piece of liquorish root is slowly chewed and/or kept in the mouth overnight while asleep then one’s original voice will return.
10)If due to a problem in the spleen someone’s feet becomes swollen or left side of the stomach becomes hardened then a leaf of Aloe Vera may be cut open and a teaspoon of Sal ammoniac (ammonium chloride) powder may be sprinkled over it. It should be tied so it can hang over a glass pot to collect the drops. A teaspoon of this juice mixed with two tablespoons of water should consumed twice daily for twenty days then spleen problem will be reduced. Or eating whole radish together with its leaves with back salt daily also helps in curing the spleen.
11)Those who are suffering from diabetes if they walk at a brisk pace daily in evenings and mornings until they become tired then, in due course, their problem of sugar in the urine goes away. Or a tablespoon of freshly half grounded fenugreek soaked overnight in a cup of water and blended to a paste in the morning and consumed without adding anything continuously for two months then it will also help cure the diabetes. Eating of vegetable made from Karela (bitter melon) also helps in this disease.
12)To remove jaundice, two tablespoon of fresh juice made from fresh radishes should be mixed with a teaspoon of India sugar candy powder for 10 consecutive days, upon rising from bed and just before brushing teeth then the problem of jaundice will go. If they are boiled green without any spice or salt and consumed twice daily and ripened papaya is eaten twice daily then it will also surely help in jaundice.
13) If one is suffering with continuous headaches then sniffing of fresh juice drawn from the leaves of lemon tree helps remove this chronic headache.
14) If a ringworm is formed on the skin then just after waking up in the morning (before doing anything else) if a little spit saliva is smeared over the ring worm then within three days ringworm goes away. Or if pure camphor properly mixed in coconut oil is rubbed on the ringworm in due course it becomes cured. Or if little juice from Tulasi leaves is smeared daily over the ringworm in due course it also gets cured.
15) If someone somehow got burnt while cooking then if cow’s dung is pasted over the burnt area then immediate relief will be experienced and the burnt mark will not be seen. Or smearing of uncooked potato paste also helps in the burnt area.
16) If someone bleeds through the nose then a few drops of a lemon juice in the nose will immediately stop nose bleeding. Or if a handful of raisins are soaked over night in water and if the raisins (not the water) are eaten in the morning daily for some consecutive days then nose bleeding will stop. Or if hands, feet and head with washed with cold water then nose bleeding will also stop.
17) Those who suffer from asthma they are advised to eat steaming hot foods, drink hot water and hot milk so the mucus remains thin and thus pressure from asthma becomes lessened. Or if ten almonds are made into fine paste and boiled with some water on fire then drank while it is still hot them asthma’s pressure becomes reduced. Or about fifty grams of steaming hot fresh grape juice if drank then it helps reduce the pressure from asthma as well.
18) If someone is suffering from cough then one tablespoon of fresh juice extracted from ginger root mixed with a tablespoon of pure honey and then heated over fire and then consumed slowly, then in consecutive course of this practice the cough will go away.
19) If someone is suffering from fungus then a teaspoon of black pepper powder (purchased from an Indian store) mixed with a tablespoon of cow’s ghee if consumed daily for a month then all categories of itches and skin diseases will go away. Or if 100 grams of coconut oil mixed with 50 grams of pure camphor and daily rubbed over the fungus then in due course it will go away. Or 21 soft and fresh neem leaves (from margosa tree) made into paste with little water and then consumed daily for twenty one days, it will surely help cure the itching. Or just after waking up if one chews 4-5 corns of black pepper and drinks a cup of water over it then it will benefit in removing all kinds of skin diseases.
20) If someone has a boil on the skin then Menhadi (myrtle leaves’ paste, or powder available in Indian store) paste is placed thickly over the boil it will reduce the pain occurring from the boil and will cure it after a few applications.
21) To remove joint pains, if a teaspoon of freshly grounded fenugreek powder is consumed with a cup of water daily then joint pains will gradually go away. This also helps cure anemia, frequented urinations, cramps and the atrophy disease.
22)Twenty pieces of cloves and little camphor ground finely and rubbed over the teeth it cures all diseases of the teeth. Rock salt mixed with mustard oil and rubbed on gums cures gum problems and the problems from the teeth.
23)If someone has blisters on the tongue then it is advised to smear melted pure ghee mixed with real camphor on the tongue before going to sleep at night and try to eliminate constipation as well.
24) If someone has freckles on the face or pimples on the face then a teaspoonful of honey mixed with a tablespoon of raw milk directly taken from a cow is rubbed on the face and then after ten minutes if face is washed using normal water then, in due course of daily usage, it will cure the problem. Or rubbing the inside skin of a lemon (after lemon’s juice is removed and its skin is turned inside out) and then after five minutes applying a paste made from Besan flour (available in the India store) then, after fifteen minutes, washing the face with fresh water will remove freckles from the face. Or paste made from a tablespoon of lentil beans and a tablespoon of the inner part of watermelon seeds, applied to the face and washed after fifteen minutes, removes all kinds of spots from the face and makes it look beautiful.
25) If someone wants to remove wrinkles from their face then the paste made from the skin of soap nut (called reetha, available in the India store) should be applied and then after fifteen minutes face should be washed with fresh water. If this rule is followed daily for some time then it will remove wrinkles from the face. And/or paste made with fresh milk and soaked and pealed almonds and massaged on the face and after twenty minutes washed then face will look young and beautiful.
26)If someone is facing stomach pain then placing of a teaspoon of turmeric powder mixed with little salt in the mouth and then taking of two mouthful of normal water is advised. If one does so then air circulation in the stomach will be normalized and the stomach pain will become subsided. Or mixing half a teaspoon of salt in boiling hot water and drinking it like tea will relax stomach pain.
27) If someone is having diarrhea then mix one cup of fresh raw milk with juice from one lemon and instantly drink it. If this is repeated a few times it will stop the problem.
28) Eating of watermelon on a daily basis reduces high blood pressure but tomato consumption should be reduced with it. And/or eating early in the mornings old (previously made) chapattis made from whole wheat flour chapattis soaked in milk reduces blood pressure.
29)Those who have low blood pressure if they soak about 30-40 raisins in a cup of water overnight and, after they have been soaked for twelve hours, then it is advised to chew one-by-one till each become paste then swallow them. Daily habit of this style will remove the problem
30)Drinking of a cup of fresh mulberry juice on a daily basis removes heart’s weakness thus reducing the chance of heart failure
31)If someone is suffering from pains of gallstones then they are advised to take about 5-7 grams of root from a papaya tree and, after washing it nicely, grind it to a total pulp and then mix it with a cup of water and, strain it through a cotton cloth, and drink it on an empty stomach. If this mixture is taken daily in the morning and in the evening for 21-25 consecutive days then gallstones will be dissolved.
32)If someone is somehow got a cut (either while working in the kitchen or otherwise) placing some turmeric power upon the cut and holding the wound for a minute. This act will stop the blood oozing and stop infection and bacteria.
33) If someone gets a sprain or a twist on either leg or on hand then use paste made from the leaves of pomegranate tree is tied with a cloth then pain will be relieved.
34)If someone is experiencing bladder or kidney pain, they are advised to drink two tablespoons of juice made from grape leaves, mixed with one tablespoon of water and a pinch of rock salt - take twice daily, pain will subside.
35)A teaspoonful of Ajavayan (available in the Indian store) mixed with half teaspoon of normal salt if taken with hot water it will quickly remove stomach pain.
36)If someone has heartburn then they are advised to squeeze a lemon in water, and without mixing, drink and it will remove heartburn, distress and discomforts.
37)If there are worms in the stomach (symptoms of it is seen when one grinds teeth while asleep) then take two vine ripened round tomatoes and sliced them and sprinkle some black salt and Indian black pepper power and eat them early in the morning before eating or drinking anything for fifteen days then all the worms will die and be removed through evacuation.
38)If frequency of urination is too often then take half a pound (250 grams) of black sesame seeds and mix it with syrup made from same amount of gur (raw sugar from the Indian store) and make about twenty laddus (round balls) and eat one in the morning and one in the evening. This will help reduce the frequently of urination. A minor should be given one laddu a day buy not to a child who is less than three years of age.
39) If hairs are uprooting by themselves (or dropping down) then squeeze a lemon through a cloth and mix double amount of coconut oil and slowly apply to the roots of the hair rubbing into your head, in due course, the loss of hair will stop and will also remove the dandruff thus beauty of the hairs will increase.
40) 1) A little sandalwood paste daily in the eyes will prevent cataract occurring in the eyes. And if cataract has already formed in the eyes then a little honey to be applied in the eyes, it will prevent any increase of the cataract. After this an operation to remove cataract should be accepted.
41) If the child speaks indistinctly, stutters and/or falters while speaking then take seven almonds and seven black pepper corns and grind them into a paste with adding little water. And mix some grounded Indian sugar candy to the paste and feed the child in the early morning daily for fifteen days, in due course, this problem will go away.
42) If someone wakes up again and again in the night to pass urination they should include vegetables made from spinach in their evening meal and they will not have this trouble.
43) If someone wants to reduce their weight then they are advised to squeeze a lemon in a cup of normal drinking water and drink early in the morning while empty stomach. If two months this act is practiced then bodily weight will be reduced.
Disclaimer - The statements regarding these home remedies have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. The information on this web site is designed for educational purposes only. It is not intended to be a substitute for informed medical advice or care.